Last week we discussed communication approaches to use with people of differentpersonality types (read more here!). This week we will discuss how to set the stage for negotiation success. From identifying your objectives and priorities, to knowing when you will walk away, here are seven steps to prepare for a negotiation.
Seven Steps to Prepare for a Negotiation
- Establish the context. Know what you’re going after and why. Stay focused on the objective and don’t get drawn into an ego-match.
- Identify needs and wants. The needs are necessary for success. The wants are improvements that build upon your needs.
- Understand what will happen if you don’t reach an agreement. Brainstorming these outcomes could lead you to solutions that you had not even considered.
- Establish the importance of the negotiation outcome. Are you negotiating with a critical vendor whose service greatly impacts the outcome of a project? Or are you in a position where the outcome of the negotiation has little strategic impact?
- Understand the importance of the relationship with the other party. Will you have a long-term relationship with the person that you are negotiating with, or is it likely to be a short-term interaction?
- Determine the Zone of Possible Agreement (ZOPA). This is the place in which you are in agreement. You should think about this prior to your negotiation and then try to quickly clarify it, early in your meeting.
- Be clear on where you won’t compromise and when you will Get Up And Leave (GUAL) a negotiation. What are issues that would make you GUAL? Often it is illegal or unethical behavior, or it can be a proposal that is preposterous to your team. Think about what would make you Get Up and Leave before you enter the negotiation.
Now, all you need to do is relax and breathe, and you’re ready to take on your next negotiation challenge. Eat some protein, avoid the caffeine and carbs and you’re on your way to negotiating your success, Cheetah style!
Stay tuned next week when we will discuss how to activate your natural genius to create career success.